Stroke Therapy

RoboFit can offer Stroke Therapy to clients with a range of presentations, with our team of neuro experienced therapists.

About Stroke

According to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, over 387,000 Australians have experienced a stroke as of 2018. A stroke can result in sudden, significant impairments depending on the severity and type of stroke, such as paralysis of specific regions of the body or difficulty with speech. The good news is that the fatality rate for stroke has dropped by 75% since 1980, meaning that we now know a lot more about treating the long-term effects following a stroke.

How we Help

At RoboFit, our neuro experienced therapists are working with Stroke Survivors to rebuild lost strength and function, with the goal of providing increased independence and mobility.

Our exercise physiology team does this with a unique, technologically driven approach. Using a wearable, neuro-controlled exoskeleton, we can provide targeted exercise interventions and rehabilitation of specific muscle groups, with our devices reading movement intent and providing assistance where it’s required.

In other words, our exoskeletons move with the wearer, not for the wearer. This is vital to ensuring progress and reducing the physical load on the team of therapists. This also means individuals will get a more personalised experience with a therapist.

For example, a Stroke Survivor that is only able to put in 20% of the required effort to bend his or her left arm could attend RoboFit and train with a device that provides the other 80%. As the wearer begins to drive more of the movement independently, the assistance torque produced by the device can be reduced by the clinician. Repeated, high intensity training within this positive feedback loop, the rehabilitation process is sped up, creating new neural pathways and improving function. This is a concept known as neuroplasticity, and it’s at the heart of everything we do here at RoboFit.

This method of training can be provided in isolation across several functional joints, including the elbow, pelvis, knee or ankle with our single joint and lumbar devices. Or it can be used for mass practice of gait with our HAL exoskeleton suit.

Flexible Therapy

This method of training can be provided in isolation across several functional joints, including the elbow, pelvis, knee or ankle with our single joint and lumbar devices. Or it can be used for mass practice of gait with our HAL exoskeleton suit.

This allows clients to work within a clinical setting or within the comfort of their own home with specific training and guidance provided in person or via telehealth, building their total therapy time across the week with ease.

To learn more about how our team can help or to organise a FREE initial assessment, get in contact with RoboFit today at the link below.

Newsletter signup

Join our exciting journey in discovering the future of rehabilitation by subscribing below.