Introducing the Single Joint Type

We’re pleased to announce that we have a new device joining RoboFit’s exoskeleton lineup! The HAL Single Joint Type will be used as part of RoboFit’s exercise physiology services starting from November, meaning that our neuro-controlled exoskeletons can work across more parts of the body than ever before.

About the Single Joint Device

Similar to its larger sibling, the HAL single joint type exoskeleton uses electrodes to connect with the wearer and detect faint bioelectric signals (BES), reflecting the wearer’s movement intention. The device then steps in and provides target assistance at the required level to help complete the desired movement.

For example, an individual unable to fully bend his right arm inwards due to a neurological condition can wear the HAL single joint type to complete this movement. If the wearer can only put in 30% of the required effort, HAL gives the wearer the other 70%, in a process very similar to its lower limb sibling.

As with the larger device, this creates a feedback loop of signals that stimulate the forming of neural pathways, in a process called neuroplasticity. This device is able to be completely tailored to the individual wearer’s individual ability levels, meaning that each wearer will have a completely personalised rehabilitation experience.

This device has a range of benefits over its larger sibling, such as:

  • Intensive training of specific joints, (knee, elbow, etc)
  • Minimalistic and easy to transport design, allowing for Exercise Physiologists to bring the device to your home or rehab space
  • More flexible use conditions (seated, laying down, standing)

Live feedback is transmitted from the HAL single joint type to RoboFit’s computers, allowing for real-time and historical feedback on joint strength and training. For our therapists, this real time feedback tracks the strength of signals and how much assistance is being provided. Lights on the device show whether muscle groups are isolated, firing together or not firing correctly.

Newsletter signup

Join our exciting journey in discovering the future of rehabilitation by subscribing below.